Friday, September 11, 2009

Another Thrift Store Make-Over!



This is my latest project. I really love how it turned out! It adds and element of texture to any room. I bought this brass platter while thrifting. These platters have probably filled many landfills as I always see them at the thrift stores I shop--both in Texas and Oklahoma. I believe they are probably circa 1960's or 1970's. I loved the scroll detail on this one and decided to give it an aged treatment to bring out the detail. I think it turned out great!

I decided to try an aging technique courtesy of Cindy from My Romantic Home. First, I spray painted it a satin cream color. Then I diluted burnt umber (brown) craft acrylic paint with water--use more paint than water. Next, I used a brush to apply the dark paint into the crevices. Then with a slightly damp paper towel I wiped the dark paint off the raised parts. The nice thing is that even after it has dried you can still take a damp paper towel and wipe some more of the dark off. It was a fun and easy project! Now, I am on the look out for more of these platters.

No comments:

Post a Comment